Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Greetings from Sac-town!

Hi all! I've been here a full 24 hours now, although yesterday felt like it consisted of many more hours than 24. For the next 30 days (more or less) I'll be in Corps Training Institute (or what we Americorps members like to refer to as CTI). By the end of the 30 days I'll have been red cross certified as a disaster relief volunteer as well as have been certified as a van driver and learned lots of other things which I can't even begin to think about, let alone list.

As of right now we have been split up into Pods of around 10 CMs (corps members) with one TL (team leader). These groups are just temporary and will be in place for the next week or two until we are assigned our permanent teams. This morning was the first time we got together as a pod and I feel like in the past 48 hours I've learned so many names and seen so many faces there's no way I could even begin to list them all. I've met folks from all over the US, the majority here are from the Midwest but there's quite a few from the New England area (Massachusetts especially). Today we spent 2 hours doing paperwork to get set up for our physicals next week as well as to get entered into the Red Cross database. It would have been quite boring had it not been for some entertaining members of my pod :). I've met such a diverse group of people here with really unique backgrounds, although I can't remember where everyone is from, I know I've heard some cool stories!

Yesterday we stood in about a hundred lines to complete inprocessing. We got all kinds of exciting things like room keys (and roommates), government ID cards, sleepingbags AND, we were issued our uniforms and damn, do we look good :) Americorps, we've been told, prides itself as an organization in having volunteers that look professional at all times. This means some pretty strict regulations as to what you can and can't do/wear while "repping the A" (representing Americorps). Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of this sweet uniform soon. Basically it consists of gray t-shirts and long-sleeved shirts with the Americorps NCCC logo on the breast and arm, white polos with the Americorps logo, khaki BDU shorts and pants and black pants. The polo and black pants are refered to as the "Ameritux". We "ameri-" everything. There's even an ameriprom at the close of the year!

I'm off to go take a quick nap before dinner, 3 hours time difference is a lot. A LOT.
love,
--Walker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha...things sound like they're going great for you so far Walker! I love that you all look bangin' while saving the West Coast. ;) But honestly, did you expect anything less that than from yourself? So far what you've listed, cool uniforms aside, it sounds like college so far. The beginning waiting FOREVER getting everything set up. But it definitely sounds like the Walker choice. LOVE the blog!

Anonymous said...

Also sorry, I had to use my screen name because I didn't know how else to post a comment and didn't want to create an account. Love you!